- This article is a stub. You can help Emberverse Wiki by expanding it.
The Golden Princess is the eleventh book in the Emberverse series. It was released on September 2, 2014. The action takes place starting April of 2044/CY 46.
It’s Change Year 46, two generations after high-energy technology died in a catastrophe most of the human race didn’t survive.
The children born after the Change and their children are again battling against powers that are not sympathetic to humans and human concerns.
Princess Órlaith, heir to Rudi Mackenzie, Artos the First, High King of Montival, now wields the Sword of the Lady —and faces a new enemy. Fortunately, she also has a new ally in Reiko, Empress of Japan, who has been pursued to America by a conquering army from Asia.
To combat their mutual foe, Órlaith and Reiko embark on a quest to find the fabled Kusanagi-no-Tsurugi, the Grass-Cutting Sword, one of the three great treasures of the Japanese Imperial House. But dreams have revealed that the road to Kusanagi lies through the meganecropolis of the City of Angels, the greatest and most perilous of the dead cities...and beyond it, to a castle in the fearful Valley of Death. And their relentless enemy will stop at nothing to prevent them from succeeding.
For across the Pacific, the great arc of land that stretches from the dark kingdom of Korea to the realm of Capricornia in Australia is threatened by war. Now all the survivors of the Change must choose sides....
Interesting tidbits from a post on AlternateHistory.com:
- The Dunedain and some McKenzies have colonized part of the Napa valley, and have outposts on the outskirts of San Francisco.
- Somewhere near Cape Mendocino (in Humboldt County), there's a pocket of civilized survivors who made it through the Change as the Barony of Mist Hills.
- There's mention of trade with civilized pockets in Mexico and S. America (Arica, Puerto Montt, and Esmereldas).
- Darwin (Kingdom of Capricornia), Launceston, Townsville, Cairns, and Tasmania are the major city/states near Australia.
- Japan survived, in the form of a pocket of civilization in/around Sadogashima (Sado Island). The Imperial Family (rescued from Tokyo) rules from there.
- Korea has been conquered/unified by the North Koreans.
- The Haida still haven't been wiped out.
- Northern (and possibly all of) California is "Westria" (a Crown Province).